- Chocolate Sandwich Cake made to recipe below
- New Vegan Decorated Cupcakes a plate of five
- Fruit Scones 5 round scones
- Sourdough Bread any flour
- Home Baked Loaf bread machine not permitted
- My Favourite Cake (men only) – supply recipe & method
- Home Made Fudge 6 squares
- Showstopper 65th Anniversary judged on presentation only
Here’s One I Made Earlier for any baking for classes 68-74 that did not turn out as expected. Prize for winner. Entry free on the morning.
Recipe for Class 68 Chocolate Sandwich Cake
Prep: 25 minutes Cook: 25 mins baking + cooling time
175g (6oz) soft margarine
175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
160g (5½oz) self-raising fl our
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ tsp vanilla extract
50g (2oz) dark chocolate
15g (½oz) butter
2 tablespoons milkTo Finish:
• 3 tablespoons apricot conserve
• chocolate curls or crumbled Flake
- Grease and base line two 18cm (7inch) sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180C/350F.
- Place the margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl. Sift in the fl our, cocoa and baking powder. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk the ingredients together for 2 minutes only, scraping the mixture down halfway through to ensure that all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared tins. Smooth the surface and make a slight dent in the centre of each. Bake for about 25 minutes until the surface is springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tins for 5 minutes before running a knife around the edges and turning the cakes out onto wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, spread one of the sponges with conserve. Place the other on top and press down lightly.
- For the icing, place all the ingredients in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Leave them to melt, stirring occasionally. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir until smooth then allow to cool to a spreadable consistency. Using a palette knife, smooth the icing over the surface of the cake and decorate with chocolate curls or a crumbled Flake.
All sweet preserves (with the exception of Lemon Curd) must be fi lled to the top and covered with a NEW twist top only, or a waxed disc and cellophane. Lemon Curd must only be covered using a waxed disc and cellophane. Vinegar preserves (with the exception of relishes) must have 1/2” headspace and only be covered with NEW solid vinegar-proof tops, i.e. plastic lined twist top, and be a minimum of 2 months old. Labels to include main fruit/vegetables used with full date (day/month/
year). No commercial jars or lids accepted.
- Marmalade approx 450g jar
- Fruit Jam approx 450g jar
made since July 2018
- Fruit Jelly 1 jar made since July 2018
- Lemon Curd small jar with waxed disc and cellophane top
- Chutney one jar
- Flavoured Oil 300ml bottle, headspace not to exceed 12mm, labelled
- Infused spirit or fruit liqueur one bottle labelled